Saturday, May 7, 2011

Singing My Songs

Last night, I played guitar and sang my songs at a local open mic that only happens once each month. I was second to go on, after a budding young poet read his poems inspired by a Hollywood movie. As I sat down to play, I noticed that I had a very large, alert and captive audience to perform for. And that I did, singing six of my latest original songs. Of course, I told everybody that my new, longly awaited for CD is in the mail and due to arrive anytime. I also announced that there would be a CD release party later this month. However, as I was singing my songs, I became aware that I felt alone on stage, with God listening to what I wrote and playing through me at the same time! I really don't pay much attention to the audience when I play; I'm too caught up in the experience of feeling this unity with God that seems to happen on good nights, especially when I realize that He gave me the inspiration for each of my songs. To me, this is as good as it gets. Writing and singing my own songs seems to be my spiritual path. To be creative is our function in life, and it can be so much fun when you find your own gift. I truly believe everybody has one. Finding it is the challenge.

1 comment: